Research covered by this policy will fall into one of the following four categories.
- rDNA (Recombinant or synthetic nucleic acids):
- Molecules that are constructed outside living cells by joining natural or synthetic DNA segments to DNA molecules that can replicate in a living cell;
- Molecules that replicate as a result of the above.
- RG2 (Risk Group 2): Agents that are associated with diseases that are rarely serious and for which preventive/therapeutic interventions are often available.
- RG3 (Risk Group 3): Agents that are associated with serious/lethal human diseases for which preventive/therapeutic interventions may be available (high individual risk, but low community risk).
- RG4 (Risk Group 4): Agents that are likely to cause serious/lethal human diseases for which preventive/therapeutic interventions are not usually available (high individual risk and high community risk).