The UTEP Bridge to the Doctorate (BD) Fellowship Program will not be soliciting applications for AY 2017-2018.
The BD project is open to first-year graduate students (qualified MS students in their last year of studies with a confirmed Ph.D. acceptance or qualified STEM Ph.D.students in their first semester of studies). Each two-year fellowship includes a $64,000 stipend plus full tuition and fees, $300 book allowance per semester, and health insurance. Funding for travel expenses to national conferences is available upon request and requires BD PI approval.
Minimum Qualifications are:
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident
- Must have participated in the Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) program as an undergraduate. Program participation/certification will be confirmed with the BS degree-granting institution.
- Must have received a Bachelor’s degree from an LSAMP campus in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) discipline with a 3.2 GPA or better
- Must be admitted into a Ph.D. program at UTEP and have no more than 18 doctoral credit hours
The application packet must include the following items:
- Letter of Interest
- Formal letter of acceptance into a UTEP doctoral program in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics
- Personal Statement, Relevant Background Statement, and Future Goals Statement (3-page limit for all three).
- A Graduate Research Plan Statement that includes a description of their proposed research and intellectual merit (2-page limit).
- Three letters of recommendation. One letter must be from the proposed research mentor. All letters must be included as part of the packet in individually-sealed envelopes.
- Undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcripts.
When available, applications are due (hard copies) in the UT System LSAMP Office, Engineering 301. Applications and/or letters of recommendation are not accepted via email.
Students with the most competitive applications will be contacted to schedule an interview. Phone interviews can be arranged for students who do not live in El Paso. Please contact us if you have any questions.