Overload Compensation/Supplemental Pay Policy


It is the purpose of this policy to define supplemental pay for overload compensation,  intra-university consultant services, and supplements to establish eligibility criteria, review criteria, and procedures for the payment of such compensation, regardless of the source of funds.  Decisions on such compensation are governed by the basic standards (defined below) and which are in accordance with the Office of Management & Budget Circular A-21 and the Universities standard business processes.

For all staff categories, regardless if contract, grant, or University funds are used, requests must be submitted 30 days prior to start date of extra service.  No extra services should begin or committed to individuals unless appropriate approvals are in place.  All requests, regardless of type must be on the “Supplemental Approval Request” (SAR) form.  Exceptions to the 30 days prior approval period can be made depending on appropriate justification. 

Although any payment above individuals’ IBS is discouraged, certain “short-term” activities justify a supplement.  Examples of short-term activities include:

  • special projects assigned as overload by University administrators
  • additional temporary responsibilities/assignments (i.e. teach/research)
  • consulting or other special services (present at workshop, teach mini sessions, mentorship of non-UTEP students, etc.)
  • activities sponsored by Professional and Public Programs (outreach)
  • specially approved work on a sponsored project

Types of Supplements:

  1. Intra-University Consultant Services: allowable regardless of source of funds, but cannot be used in lieu of payment for budgeted/approved committed effort on sponsored projects and must meet the following criteria:

    • Work must be performed outside normal duty hours
    • Work should be outside of normal scope of duties (depending on need)
    • Work should be, at a minimum, across departmental lines (depending on need)
    • Payment/compensation for such services is based on fair market value for similar services (base line of fair market value could be an individual’s IBS)
    • Must be part of the original and approved budget
    • Cannot be in lieu paid effort to a PI, Co-PI, and/or key personnel
    • Must be specifically approved by chair, dean, VPR (if sponsored project) and/or Provost Office (if non-sponsored)
  3. Supplements:  Not allowable on Contracts and Grants and in lieu of committed effort and is:
    • paid for ser
    • HTML
    • vices rendered during an academic year or summer months
    • payment in excess of the employee's IBS and 100% effort expectations
    • paid in connection with approved "additional responsibilities and/or assignments" (including teaching and research, regardless of source of funds)
    • is short term and has clear and defined deliverables and responsibilities above and beyond the 100% effort expectations
    • value of supplement is based on fair-market value or pre-determined University rates (such as value of a course assignment or percent of IBS)
  4. Overload Compensation: (Allowed Sponsored R&D Contracts only) Overload compensation is discouraged.  However, in unusual cases, specifically when made from sponsored contracts, such compensation may be appropriate and warranted.  Decisions on such compensation are governed by the basic standards defined below:

    • Work must be performed outside and above 100% effort
    • Work should be outside of normal scope of duties (depending on need and expertise)
    • Payment/compensation for such services is based on individual’s equivalent hourly rate of IBS
      1. For Faculty:  ((IBS/(2080/12)*9)) multiplied by overload hours claimed)
      2. For A&P “exempt” staff:  ((IBS/(2080/12)) multiplied by overload hours claimed
    • Must be specifically allowable by the contract’s terms and conditions
    • Should not be predetermined at time of proposal/response to
    • RFP, unless services are short-term, unpredictable (regarding effort management), and must benefit the sponsored project
      • Must be specifically approved by PI of sponsored project, chair, dean, and VPR

Exception: Lecturers who are paid by course(s) verses percent effort may be eligible to receive “intra-university consultation” compensation.  In cases where lecturers have a particular expertise and providing all other intra-university criteria is met, supplemental pay may be requested and approved.  This excludes supplemental pay for teaching and must be for a “particular expertise” in research and/or development only.


  • Any long-term requirements for service need to be managed and coordinated with Dean and Chair to become a regular assignment of a full-time employees’ expectation.
  • Managing and coordinating with Chair and Dean to incorporate the sponsored project activity into an assignment is the individuals responsibility


Definition of Terms:

  1. Institutional Base Salary (IBS): is the total salary amount to be paid to an employee over the applicable base salary period for a particular fiscal year, and may be referred to as "base salary".

  3. Institutional Base Salary (IBS) period: For faculty, the base salary period is 9 months over the academic year and for professional staff, the base salary period is the full 12 months of the institutional fiscal year.
  4. Summer Period:  Summer appointments, applies to faculty only and represents direct salary payment for effort commitments offered during the proposal and accepted by an agency as a condition of the award.  Sponsored summer activities must be included in the time and effort commitments for this period.


Authority and Limits of Supplemental Request:

  1. The signature of the PI of a sponsored project or authorized signer on non-sponsored projects, Home Department Chair and Dean are required on all SAR’s
  2. ORSP’s review of the SAR for signature from the VPR will certify availability of funds and allowability of expenditures on Sponsored Projects Only
  3. Provost Office reviews all SAR’s for non-sponsored projects
  4. Provost is final approval office for all SAR
  5. Only once fully executed SAR is in place and returned to department, work can begin.


Procedures for Request & Approval of SAR and HRMS assignment:

Without exception, all payments to University employees for supplements will be treated as salary.  Payment will be made through the Payroll Office and will be subject to withholdings and other appropriate deductions.  Such payment will be made only when a fully executed SAR and supplemental assignment through HRMS have been processed.

The University of Texas at El Paso  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement  |  Required Links